Anacreon(born ca. 570 BC) was a Greek lyric poet, notable for his drinking songs and hymns.Anacreon wrote all of his poetry in the ancient Ionic dialect. Like all early lyric poetry, it was composed to be sung or recited to the accompaniment of music, usually the lyre.Anacreon's poetry touched on universal themes of love, infatuation, disappointment, revelry, parties, festivals, and the observations of everyday people and life.

Friday, April 21, 2006

Who was Anacreon?





I guess I should have posted this when I started blogging.But as they say, it's never too late. So this is for you Anacreon(the original poet, after whom I have taken my name).

Anacreon (ca. 582 BC–ca. 485 BC) Anacreon wrote lyric poetry, meaning poetry sung to the lyre. Dealing extensively with love and wine all but a few of his genuine poems remain. Most of those poems published in 17th and 18th century editions under the name Anacreon although dating from antiquity are now thought to be spurious. These are now known as Anacreontic verse.

The above two pictures are of Anacreon and one of his verses. This verse when translated in english reads as:

I, too, wish to sing of heroic deeds

(about the Atreides, and about Kadmus),

but the lyre's strings can only produce sounds of love.

Recently, I changed the strings,

and then the lyre itself,

and tried to sing of the feats of Hercules,

but still the lyre kept singing songs of love.

So, fare well, you heroes!

because my lyre sings only songs of love.....

translation by Ioannidis Nikolaos

It seems he was a die-hard romantic like me.Hence the name.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In your blog you wrote "It seems he was a die-hard romantic like me.Hence the name".Well I differ on this sine when when you became die-hard romantic??

6:59 AM

 
Blogger anacreon said...

Since I am feeling poetic,in the words of the Bard as in Hamlet:
"There are many things between heaven and earth , that cannot be dreamed by our philosophy".
In short ,Kunal,you don't really know everything about me.

7:15 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anacreon jr. has a romantic side in him ... totally hidden ... he's now trying to bring out this side of him :) What say ... am i right or am i right? :D

7:18 AM

 
Blogger anacreon said...

Hick,
Dude I am a Scorpio, so romance is in-built in me.You being a fellow Scorpio would know it yourself.

8:20 AM

 
Blogger Subir said...

i agree with u anand

@ the other dudes
what else wud u call a freak who trips on veer zaara,DDLJ,MLTR and the like??

7:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home