Anacreon(born ca. 570 BC) was a Greek lyric poet, notable for his drinking songs and hymns.Anacreon wrote all of his poetry in the ancient Ionic dialect. Like all early lyric poetry, it was composed to be sung or recited to the accompaniment of music, usually the lyre.Anacreon's poetry touched on universal themes of love, infatuation, disappointment, revelry, parties, festivals, and the observations of everyday people and life.

Thursday, July 06, 2006

My fallen country!

Consider this- out of about 2 lakh only around 1200 get into the exclusive IIMs
- AIIMS has less than 50 seats for the UG course,even lesser for the PG course
- a couple of 1000s make into the prestigious IITs
- even 95% marks don't ensure an admit into SRCC and St.Stephens select courses
- NLSUI has less than 100 seats

- An average politician does not have a basic school degree, forget about the above mentioned advanced qualifications, and holds all of us hostage.

I have long held this belief of owing to my country. After all I was born here, I have some allegiance to my land. But of late I have been forced to give a long hard thought to my convictions. What constitutes a counrty? Is it the people or the politicians? I used to think the former was the right answer but recent events have shown how foolish I was. I grew up like most do in this country- in a middle class family, sent to one of the better schools, competing with thousands to get into a good college, moving onto a professional environment in order to take care of my family, still dreaming and striving to do something better. I was not born with the proverbial silver spoon but life has not been difficult. I am in every way one amongst the lakhs of ordinary Indian youth. I always had the notion that if I work hard, I could make it big. There was no dearth of opportunities now with the economy opening up. All that was needed was dedication and a little bit of luck. And I thanked my country for that. I thought it was made up of people like me, who toil, and expect to have a better future.
Then happened Mandal2 , students beaten and dragged, the premier medical school engulfed in the grime of politics, peaceful demonstrations marred by lathicharges, protests in colleges not given media coverage because of fear of political backlash, proposals of job quota in private institutions, AIIMS director getting sacked......... I am talking about this because it affects me, call me selfish if you want. I never sought any advantage, so why should I agree when others are given such privileges? Was it unfair to dream?
Is my patriotism misplaced, because as far as I can see, the country isn't made up of people like you and me, but by our politicians?
A country of the politicians, by the politicians, for the politicians?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

anand,
U haven't mentioned abt the number of ppl who opt of other courses such as political sciences here...

6:23 AM

 
Blogger anacreon said...

Peri,
I don't think many(or any) of our politicians are students of political science or law.... only the names of Ram Jethmalani and Arun Jaitely come to mind.
Moreover the list was not comprehensive...was just an indicator.

8:27 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:35 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Strong Statement dude.The only phrase that comes to my mind is "This country has gone to the dogs"

3:36 AM

 
Blogger anacreon said...

suitable-boy what did you delete above? went over-board with emotions, is it?

3:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home